Monday, July 14, 2008

I have a Garden

Well, it hasn't necessarily succeeded, but it certainly hasn't failed completely. I still have living plants months after planting some of the seeds! It probably helps that Ithaca gets enough rain that I actually don't really need to do that much.



I didn't plant many of these since I don't actually eat carrots much, but I couldn't resist planting some Cosmic Purple Carrots.



I wasn't expecting anything out of these since they seemed sluggish to grow, and upstate NY is a notoriously difficult place to grow watermelon. But when I came out to my garden this morning I found a baby Blacktail Mountain watermelon!



Not sure if this is a White Wonder, or a Cherokee Purple, but either way it is the first green Tomato in my garden.




My Lemon Cucumber plant is finally growing Cucumbers! Even if they are only a centimeter long.



My Cayenne Pepper is one of the few plants I didn't grow from seed. Hence it having fruit bigger than a centimeter.





Rabbits keep eating leaves off my cilantro, but so far it is still alive.





Most of my Japanese Giant Red Mustard seems kind of sickly and little, but this one has grown quite well.


As for anyone who feels like growing just about anything I recommend the site rareseeds.com. It really is amazing the variety of plants they have for sale. Next year maybe ill try Golden Midget Watermelon, Orangeglo Watermelon, Gold Baby Watermelon, Flame Tomatoes, Green Zebra Tomatoes, Green Moldovan Tomatoes, Pink Accordion Tomatoes, Chinese Five Color Peppers, Mammoth Red Rock Cabbage, Purple of Sicily Cauliflower, Long Scarlet Radish, Early Purple Vienna Kohlrabi, Moonshadow Hyacinth Bean, Five Color Silverbeet Chard, Yugoslavian Finger Fruit Squash, Tigger Melon, Nipple Fruit Eggplant, Thai Green Pea Eggplant, Bowling Red Okra, Purple Tomatillo, or any of dozens of other completely random plants that you hardly see anywhere else.

No comments: