Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cherokee?

Apparently I am an Indian, or Native American, or whatever the heck they are called these days.

I always thought that to qualify as one you needed to be a certain percentage Indian. Usually this is true. However it just happens that in the Cherokee tribe this is not true. You only must be able to trace ancestry to someone who was registered as a member of the tribe a hundred years ago. I can. Well, at least I am assured that I could if I went and researched the subject better.

So then the question is, would this be worth my time to do? The actual benefits of tribe membership are pretty minimal. Perhaps when starting a business I could declare myself to be an under-represented minority. I really don't think I could do it with a straight face though. I am about as far from being a stereotypical Indian as you can get.

Still, it would make for an interesting conversation piece so I might go through the trouble of doing it.

No comments: