Saturday, August 15, 2009

Americans wait longer for health care.

One thing I keep hearing in this debate is talk about the horrible wait times in single payer healthcare systems... When I tried to get my first doctors appointment the other week, the soonest they would take me was two weeks! Now, if I had anything urgent than I am sure it would be quicker, but it sure seems like a long time to wait.

Turns out that is not unusual. The United States ranks among the worst in the world in wait times to see a doctor. The only area we do a lot better is elective surgeries. This is why Republicans always use hip replacements as their example of something that takes a lot longer to get in Canada. They prefer to ignore that we wait a lot longer than people in most countries for primary care.

No comments: