Monday, August 8, 2011

How Science Works

Every so often I think about trying to do real science ahttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifgain. Then I am reminded what actually doing real science is like.

If I ever try to do science again, I am most likely to do so in a hardcore hobbyist mode. It is just too much trouble having your life depend on producing results. There are a handful of people who have managed to make science a side job and because they work in fields with little real funding, a few thousand dollars in equipment and a whole lot of obsessiveness make them actually useful. This was common two hundred years ago, as science has become more specialized it is harder and harder to pull off. Still, if I ever had a phase of my life with nothing particularly important going on I might consider taking a shot at it.

No comments: